Sunday, November 8, 2009

Dude, where's my calling?

Our thoughts and prayers are with all those touched by the tragedy at Fort Hood.

Opening Prayer:

Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy Kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory, for ever and ever.
Amen


This week’s sermon: Dude where’s my calling?

Do you feel you have a calling? How do you know you are doing what God has called you to do in this life?

I believe everyone has a calling! If you ask most people they can tell you at least one dream they have. For some, it’s fortune and fame and for other’s, it’s to become a teacher…or pastor. For me, I always thought that dream was unattainable. You see, as a young girl, I always felt a calling to the church. I even practiced at ten years old to become a nun (because that was the only female role in a church I could think of) by making a Nun's habit out of my bed sheets. To my disappointment, I later found out you had to be Catholic, and my parents were Babtists….so that was not happening.

Like a lot of people with a calling, I put conditions on it. I would tell myself that I needed God to send me an absolute clear sign, directing me which way to go. A nice stone tablet, with something like “TRACI MY CHILD, THOU SHALT FOR SURE BECOME A PASTOR, PROCEED THIS WAY,” would have been nice. I knew what I wanted, but instead of preparing for the answer, and the future, I would spend my time telling myself why it would not happen. Even feeling a calling from God himself, people can ignore out of human fears. Opening ourselves to receive the answers we are looking for is sometimes that first step.

Consider the story of Saul: The bible tells the story of Saul in 1 Samuel 9:1-7. So Saul’s father asks Saul to take a servant and go find the donkeys-who have apparently wandered. Here is this mundane task, really mundane, and Saul is sent wandering all over looking for these donkeys. During this event though, God calls upon Saul to do something extraordinary! Donkey duty ends up leading Saul on his divine path. In verse 5 Saul is ready to give up, he is tired, he thinks his father is probably in the midst of worrying now about Saul-it’s just not worth it to keep going, he is probably thinking. Instead, the servant tells Saul of a man of God-Samuel- who might help them, a man this servant has heard, says things that come true.

In 1 Samuel 9:15 we read how God has already prepared the way. The day before, God had spoken to Samuel. Samuel is instructed to watch for a man “from the land of Benjamin.” He instructs Samuel to anoint Saul, for God wants him to be a leader over the people of Israel. Saul ends up being the first king of Israel. From donkey duty to king is a pretty big leap, don’t you think? Only God could do something like that!

Perhaps like Paul you wonder what your purpose is and will end up running into it on an average day, doing average things. Or you’ve prayed and it’s not been answered yet. Or perhaps like me, God had been waiting for the right time. Be patient, be faithful, and continue to look for God to lead you in the right direction. It will happen.

But what if we do not yet know our calling? I believe we all will serve God in our own way. There is no right way to define your calling. For some, your job is your calling. For other’s, it is being a parent, or volunteering at the homeless shelter-or even your job helps pay for your calling. There is no calling too large or too small! If like me you have waited for a lightning bolt from the sky? It is probably going to be a very long wait! Instead, try turning off the television and the cell phone. Sit outside and try writing about what activities you have always enjoyed. Write down what made you really smile that week, or events that brought you great joy. Seek out new experiences. If you are really having trouble, new experiences might be a great help. Instead of doing the same things, day in and day out, try something new each day. Even something small like driving a different route to work, or having lunch in the park can expose you to possibilities. If you are not sure if what you found is truly your calling, ask yourself this….Is what I am doing blessing other’s, or the environment, or helping a cause? And is it making me happy?

Can we compromise with our callings? I believe we can, in a way. For instance, let’s say you have always loved football. You’ve wanted to be an NFL coach your whole life. But through life circumstances you feel it is too late to go back to school. Most likely you know in your heart you are not going to make it happen. Instead, a compromise might be to coach a little league team. Someone with a teacher’s heart might tutor disadvantaged children. If you are willing to compromise, look into volunteer situations that can be just as fulfilling. You might find that this compromise was indeed your calling all along.

Finally, I encourage everyone to pray and ask Gods help in whatever you do. We all need help, and most true callings are something we could use help from our creator.

Say this Prayer: God, I ask you to reveal your plan for me. Help me to recognize the opportunities you put into my life, to lead me on my path. Open my eyes to the possibilities in my everyday life. In Yeshua’s name we pray. Amen.

I’ll leave you with this verse that inspires me…

As Mordecai said in Esther 4:14, "And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this?" Our Heavenly Father is calling individuals to do a special task and fulfill a special mission. Is that your desire—to be used in a powerful way for His purposes?

No comments:

Post a Comment